Industrial Engineering is a branch of engineering that engages in the study of how to describe, evaluate, design, modify, control, and improve the performance of integrated systems of people, materials, and technology, viewed over time and within their relevant context. Industrial engineering is unique in its blend of fundamental topics in mathematics, physical and engineering sciences knowledge with the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design. This field identifies human being as central contributors to the inherent complexity of such systems. Globalization has opened up more doors for service industries worldwide, which leads to an increased demand for industrial engineers. The Industrial Engineering curriculum at BINUS UNIVERSITY is structured to adapt the movement of globalization and tailored to the needs of the globalized world. The Industrial Engineering Program also was accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org in 2015.
The study program emphasizes the application of engineering fundamentals with a balanced treatment of theory, design, and experience. Computer applications are integrated throughout the curriculum. Industrial Engineering department allows flexibility to its students to study certain topics in breadth and depth by offering three tracks in Jakarta Campus : Supply Chain Engineering, Service Systems Engineering, and Manufacturing Systems, and one track in Semarang Campus: Industrial Digital Transformation.
Some of the core courses require the students to not only having a full grasp of the theoretical aspects but also on how to implement them in a time study analysis. The Industrial Engineering facilities are well-equipped in the areas of engineering graphics, industrial engineering systems design, and human performance. The laboratories are available for students to use during their study are but not limited to: Physics Lab, Manufacturing Process Lab (Jakarta Campus), Additive & Manufacturing Process Lab (Semarang Campus), Technical Drawing Lab, Human-Integrated Systems Lab, Computer and Multimedia Lab.
Industrial engineers are employed in BUMN, BUMS, academic sector, private company in manufacturing, supply chain and service industries. The type of works industrial engineers are doing are but not limited to:
- Manufacturing Industry: Inventory Management, Logistics, Operation Management, Production Management, and Warehousing.
- Research and Development: Data Analysis, Environmental Protection and Preservation, and Human Factors Engineering.
- Service Industry: Client Management, Commercial Banking and Real Estate, Financial Consulting, Health Systems, and Human Resource Consulting.
- Business and Management: Business Strategy, Investment Banking, Management Analysis, Project Management, and Business Development.
- Education: Teaching and Research, consulting.
- Information Technology: Computer Integration, Database Design, Telecommunication, and Web Development.