The Bachelor of Film Study Program at BINUS UNIVERSITY delivers an integrated curriculum where understanding of aesthetics, social and cultural knowledge, as well as business and technical skills, go hand in hand. We believe that filmmakers should create films not only with economic and business considerations but also to engage in constant dialogues with the audience. We also believe that cinema, as a part of mainstream visual culture, has been an indispensable subject of humanities with new terrains of knowledge waiting to be explored.
In this four-year Study Program, students will learn how to integrate technical filmmaking skills with theoretical and practical knowledge to meet industry standards. Students will also learn how to analyze and write about cinema according to scholarly rigor and requirements set by film publications. The first year is dedicated to the fundamental technical filmmaking skills courses. In the following three years, classroom-based courses, seminars, fieldtrips and film screening are provided to enhance students’ basic aesthetic, social and cultural knowledge, teamwork and communication skills, and film business knowledge. In the second year, the whole learning process emphasizes in observation, fieldwork, and workshop to enhance contextual thinking, theory and practice, and understanding of film production. During the second year, students will also choose one of the two study streams offered by Film Study Program: film production and film studies. The third and final year are dedicated to advance the learning of methodology through workshop, clinic, and simulation. During this time, students will undertake enrichment programs where they will receive the opportunity to immerse in real-world experience through internship, community development, research, entrepreneurship, and study abroad. These programs will support and enrich their thesis, in which students will have to research to support their film thesis or film analysis.
Catalog 2016 (PDF), Catalog 2017 (PDF), Catalog 2018 (PDF), Catalog 2019 (PDF), Catalog 2020 (PDF)
Film program strives to become a prominent film and media study program in Southeast Asia, that produces filmmakers and media practitioners who posses proficiency in communicating with the audiences, high aesthetic standard, and knowledge about the media industry.
The Film Study Program at Bina Nusantara University has the following mission:
Film Study Program exists To generate world class filmmakers with knowledge, skills, and attitudes required to be able to create films that emphasize the strength of visual storytelling with high aesthetic standard, that promote dialogue with/among the audience, and with economic consideration. Our mission can be elaborated as follows:
- To generate students to become world class filmmakers with appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes required; refers to the creation of world-class filmmakers who possess prominent leadership traits for the global community.
- To generate students that emphasize the strength of visual storytelling with high aesthetic standards, as an attempt of Film Study Program to recognize and appreciate the most creative and value-added talents.
- To generate students that can promote dialogue with/among the audience; supporting the implementation of professional services with emphasis on the application of knowledge to the community based on in-depth research activities.
- To equip students to make films with economic considerations in order to improve the quality of life of Indonesian and international community.
The objectives of the program are:
- To provide student with aesthetics, social and cultural knowledge and critical thinking to analyze films that converse with their audience as well as to keep updating current global film trends;
- To provide student with knowledge and skills on visual storytelling with high standard of aesthetics and technical proficiencies to produce films that communicate with their audience;
- To complement students with leadership, entrepreneurship and management skills, as well as ethics required to be a socially aware and responsible professional in global film industry;
- To prepare students to keep updated with and utilize current ICT and media technologies to be innovative, creative and passionate for continuous improvement in film industry.
A wide range of career opportunities in the film industry is introduced in which students will be prepared throughout the four years of study. The integrated curriculum is designed and developed to support students in building both on their technical and non-technical skills as well as engaging with the industry and the scholarly activities of knowledge production.
The Film Study Program provides real-world experience for students to conduct real projects as a practical study within industrial contexts. The Study Program develops students’ ability to be involved in professional practices, ethical and organizational responsibilities. Furthermore, the enrichment program provides students with real work experience and teach them to cope with the work environment. A series of study/field trips to industries and visiting professionals will be conducted to give reasonable grounds of a broad overview of the industry. These experiences will support individual career aspiration and may provide social and professional networks. Moreover, to equip students for dealing with disruptive era and the rapid changes of film and media industry, skills and knowledge on internet services and new media are designed and regularly improved.
The graduates of Film Study Program are expected to be ready to fulfill the growing demands of the film industry such as script writing, directing, producing, cinematography, editing, and research. The graduates are also prepared to work as film researchers, programmers, curators, or film critics. BINUS UNIVERSITY provides career support for students by disseminating information on the latest job vacancies, internships, and workshops. This support service can be accessed from www.binuscareer.com.