The contribution of interdisciplinary study is becoming increasingly integrated in our society. It’s due to collect more data easier about ourselves and our environment in today’s world. The interdisciplinary study concerned with the finding of insight from large volumes of unstructured data is called as Data Science. The combination of Mathematics and Computer Science into one study program is intended to maximize the capabilities of the students to get insight in data produced by current technology. This study program has high practical relevance, as the insight from abundant data is an important economic activity. For example, data science techniques can be used for maintaining an information model of the dynamic environment, based on things like real-time sensor data. The program can be completed within 4 – 4.5 years. Furthermore, to provide work experience for students, there are industrial internships, interesting research or entrepreneurship programs for 1 semester.
A world class department in Computational Mathematics based on ICT.
The mission of Computer Science and Mathematics Program is to contribute to the global community through the provision of world-class education by:
- Educating students with fundamental knowledge & skills to apply Computational Mathematics using ICT in developing innovative algorithm and software for a career as an applied mathematician or system analyst;
- Providing solid learning experience through creating the most creative and value-added talents of leaders for global community as well as conducting professional services to improve the quality of life;
- Providing high impact research that positively contributing to the quality of life of Indonesians and the international community.
With reference to the Vision and Mission of Binus University, the role of Mathematics and Computer Science in the future and its current standing in Indonesia, the study program will contain the following elements:
- Solid education to increase mathematical reasoning capability and ability to solve problems in other fields.
- The academic atmosphere that will facilitate student learning in order that student will develop skills in communicating their mathematical reasoning and skill in software engineering.
- An environment that fosters active learner independence and encourages students to be able to succeed in their professional career and in fields related to Data Science.
Furthermore, besides this department provides the means and expertise in Data Science to prepare students for a career as a Data Scientist who is able to create mathematical models to solve problems in many related fields, it also provides capability in developing Computer Science or Applied Mathematics both in Indonesia and among the nations of the world in order to pursue higher degree of education.
The graduates of the double study program Mathematics and Computer Science can follow careers in:
- Specialist in specific kinds of data, such as natural language text, image data, geographic data, sensor data, networked data
- Designer of smart devices or smart services
- Designer of data science algorithms
- Multi-disciplinary researcher or educator
- Data Scientist or business analyst